Sunday, November 9, 2008

Damn you, Sandman!



I think I made him angry once upon a time. Maybe he's close friends with the teeth dragons? I have refused to place teeth under pillows since I was seven...
Oh, you probably don't know what the teeth dragons are. It's very simple. There are no tooth fairies, I'm afraid. Not one. There was a missing limb fairy, but I don't know if she's still working that job. 
Teeth dragons. The first thing: there are a dozen-dozen teeth dragons at every moment of every day. Exactly a dozen-dozen (that's a hundred and forty-four, for the maths impaired). To every tooth dragon, a human tooth is a thing of beauty; a sliver of anthropoid ivory. They pile them up in shoe box-sized dens and perch atop them, like their larger cousins do gold. 
Next: as for the money you receive from the teeth dragon, it's all fake. It's modern-day leprechaun money, and vanishes seven days after it's first touched by human hands. That's why teeth money isn't worth very much, nothing for an adult. One dollar missing? Whatever.
Yes. These are the teeth dragons, the far more interesting version of the tooth fairy I invented at a younger age when I though fairies were for girls. The best teeth dragons, I decided after the second time I read The Hobbit (the only Tolkien book I ever finished) at eight, I decided that teeth must attach to the bottom sides of the teeth dragons too, and they were obviously ivory-white themselves. 
I had a very strange childhood...

I miss the missing-limb fairy...
Murphs

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes you did