Tuesday, June 17, 2008

More Japan! (Are you annoyed yet?)

Day... is it four? Three? I can't seem to recall whether or not I was counting the first day on account of the first 'day' traveling to Kyoto.
In any case, my feet hurt, I am tired, I crave annoyingly American food and I swear to god that if I could sleep forever I would. But dear gods, I feel alive.
Among other things, today we got up quite early to get a train to Osaka, where we saw Osaka Castle--and I got in free for being under sixteen--(stay tuned for pictures later this month) tried real Japanese sushi--the kind that you get off a conveyor belt--bummed around in the immensity of Yodobashi Camera--I got a pair of flippin' sweet new earphones--and went to see a Japanese baseball game where we shouted to an American baseball player that he sucked.
First off--Osaka Castle is surrounded by this immense deep moat with monstrous fish that probably deserve their own Tokyo-destroying movie. They want the capital moved back to Osaka, probably.
The Japanese sushi was in this sort of covered mall--kind of like two strip malls a sidewalk apart with only a roof above them--along with an intense video arcade and a multi-storied manga/anime/weird-Japanese-crap store. After which, Ned and Megan took us to a shopping mall (a real one this time) featuring a life-sized sperm whale with a baby, painted entirely red. It was... surreal.
Yodobashi Camera... how does one describe something so large and technophiliac? Eight stories of mass technology, clothes, toys and other amazing crap. It's probably a far more profound experience for somebody like Joel, perhaps, with the $200 er... 'headphones' he explicitly calls them. I took it as an opportunity to find earphones I like that work well, and I did.
The baseball game, too, was an intense experience I wouldn't exchange for anything but would NEVER EVER DO AGAIN. We sat right underneath the people from the competitors of the Hanshin Tigers, the home team, and they apparently felt the need to make up for their lack of fans by being even louder than the home teams' fans.
Well, I feel I've wasted enough of your day, and I'm tired too. We had to detour trains today after one of ours had a... 'jumper.' Did you know your family has to pay for the clean-up if you're a jumper?
~DJ

2 comments:

Lolami said...

Remember:
It isn't authentic Japanese food without mayonnaise.

Lolami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.