Thursday, June 19, 2008

Fucking Thursdays.

I cannot seem to get the hang of Thursday. I'm quite afraid I've lost my rail pass and souvenirs from three days ago along with an assuredly lost 2000 yen. Today is my day to fuck the hell up.
I never could quite get the hang of Thursdays.
Lost items aside, my day was spent mostly nervous, with the introductions to two groups of English-studying Japanese school kids. I can go no further than 'My name is,' 'I am fifteen,' 'I'm in my second year of high school,' and 'I like video games.' Ah, the joys of foreign languages; learning five useful phrases and a billion useless ones. I spend mass amounts of time apologising for my existence on the green and lovely land that is Japan while men who appear no older than twenty rush about in business suits around me.
But, I digress. Ned acts as if we have learned about as much Japanese as the kids in Japan have English, which I know cannot be true because they have studied far longer than nine months. Yet, we actually want to learn Japanese and that can make all the difference.
Ned's friend Brindley showed us about Kobe today, and good god my feet hurt. Brindley is from South Africa, but he's got a brilliant accent and speaks great Japanese. He's also six foot three--about as tall as Aaron--and literally sticks out among the admittedly shorter Japanese populous.
He says we're going to meet up with some of his students tomorrow, which I'm afraid would just be uber-awkward-sauce or equally awkward splitting of gender/race/both.
But either way, I'd best be off to find my rail pass... *gulp*
~DJ

No comments: