Saturday, January 17, 2009


There's a good chance I'm going to go see Abney Park in February. They're playing in Seattle for the Steampunk Party II (I totally approve of Roman numerals, by the way. They're classy.). So, this evening I thinks to myself, you know what would be awesome, you? And since it would be rude for me to not even respond to myself, I said, What would be awesome? And then I told myself that it would be magnificent to go to Steampunk Party II with steampunk-y faery wings (and goggles, obviously.). So, Ned and anybody else who stumbles across this corner of the internet, my long weekend will be spent debating whether I want cellophane or nylon wings, and then making them (probably cellophane, for aesthetics' sake.).

Tutorial for Cellophane: HERE
Tutorial for Nylon (and some type of sushi): HERE
The REALLY basic design behind mine: HERE

So I suppose this is really closer to DRAGONFLY wings than butterfly, like your average faery would have, mostly because... I dunno. Dragonflies just seem more steampunk than butterflies. Does that make sense? In either case, I'll probably use electrical tape for mine instead of floral like the cellophane wings tutorial suggests, because... It's steampunk, and going to be all gears and cogs instead of leaves and green.

Murphs

PS: But a later pair with leaves pressed between the cellophane layers would be pretty striking, right?

No comments: